Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ginormous Catch Up, part 1

Hello, long lost friends...I came home sick from work yesterday, fell asleep at 7pm and woke up ridiculously early today, so thought I'd take this time to catch up on the ol' blog...at least until I figure out if I should go into work today or rest up and go in Sunday.

I think part 1 will be all the trips I've taken since the screening. I've gotten to go back to LA twice and home to my parents' in Indy over the long Easter weekend. The only trip I'm missing is one back to London, but that'll have to wait for a little bit. Besides, I just left at the beginning of February so I need to give the UK time to miss me more.

The first trip to LA was for a whole week, which was fantastic.

My first night in LA actually overlapped with Stew's visit there for work, so he came out to a party with us:

The next day Matt, Melinda, Gary and I played beach bocce, in Venice:

I had drinks with friends at the Cat and Fiddle - my favorite patio in LA and site of countless birthday parties (including the one where the entire Daily Show cast came after the Emmys and I tipsily harrassed Jon Stewart into taking a photo with me):


I took a hike in Runyon Canyon - my favorite regular loops right in the heart of Hollywood, full of free running puppies, with a pretty great view of the famous sign and houses I'll never be able to afford:

Unfortunately, for that first visit Carrie was out of town, which was a big bummer. BUT if there was an upshot, it was that I got to stay in my condo for a few nights and it was a pretty great feeling to be home. See, look how happy I am:

I got to have dinner at one of my fave Mexican spots, El Compadre. We sipped on flaming maragaritas with the dynamic duo of Kara and Brandon:

One day I had lunch at a place I used to work (sorry there are lots of photos from that lunch and all these other things, but I'm trying to be brief). It was awesome to see everyone there. I definitely miss all the wonderful people, and the free food isn't so bad either. Kate, on the left, just happens to be the reason for my second trip to LA...

We got to have brunch with Katey, Jason and the lovely little Maia (pictured below) at the Rose Cafe in Venice. Somehow I'd never been there, but it was delicious and had a fantastic patio. And Maia is growing up so fast (of course, it had been nearly a year since I'd seen her), so cute. A big thank you to my favorite OC family for making the long drive:

And on the very last night of my visit, Matt's work had a "smashing party" where you could bring in old electronics, step into a cage and choose anything from a bowling ball to sledgehammer to an axe and smash it up. There was also an open bar, bands playing...it was a pretty awesome work party. I didn't do any smashing, but Matt opened up the show, demolishing an old scanner that had given him lots of grief...


There were lots of other visits and stops around town that week, but I admit I wasn't the best photographer. It was awesome to just run around LA catching up with all my friends. And being out and about during the day in LA with all the out of work actors is always amusing. I even saw Jamie Lee Curtis at Jamba Juice one day, so that was a pretty good sighting.

The very next weekend I went home to Indy since it was the 3 day Easter weekend. It also overlapped with Passover this year, so it was nice to have a family seder for the first time in a while. My brother even came home and I got to meet his partner, Jeremy, who is adorable and went to the trouble of making a Passover-friendly chocolate cake and driving it down. Mom went all out and cooked for an army (we were actually just a party of 5). But as always it was a relaxing weekend in Indy, lounging with the fam, doing some shopping with mom, and playing with the dogs. (2 out of 3 pictured below)...


Then just a couple a weeks ago, I got to go back to LA for a quick trip to celebrate Kate and Mike's wedding at Calamigos Ranch, near Malibu. It was a gorgeous event, and lots of fun. The best group of DW people (with one notable exception, Mr. Carr) - really, a mini "Over the Hedge" reunion - which was such a wonderful time for me, personally and professionally. Here's a pic from the ceremony and the awesome table 10 (the best table in the place! - aside from the bride and groom's of course, hee hee)...





Of course there's always time for a trip to the beach (especially when someone lives just a block away), so I got a little time in the sun too even though it wasn't bikini weather...



And in between and ever since, back in Toronto....

No comments: