Monday, March 31, 2008

Fitness then Food

Friday marked my triumphant return to the gym. I finally signed up for a gym (Fitness First) here in London and I feel so much better already. Why did it take so long? Gyms are ridiculously expensive here and I couldn't find one super close to my house, but I found one mediocre (but still outrageously overpriced) gym a block from work. So we're going to try it out and see how it goes. The good news is they have all the usual equipment, the bad news is it's all jam-packed into a teeny tiny space. Certainly no Crunch...not even the WeHo 24 Hour Fitness...and about double the cost. But the good news is because it's so freaking expensive, it's highly motivating for me to go. Also, I'm only on a 3 month contract so if I can't stand it there, at least I'm not legally bound to it for very long. Hopefully, though, I'll get used to it and enjoy being able to go straight from work.

The food portion - well, I plan on gorging myself silly on pizza, pasta and vino this weekend during my 2 day trip to Venice. I can't wait! I missed Venice on my backpacking tour post-Dartmouth, so I'm very very excited to finally see the city of canals. It's not quite the sunny beach getaway I was originally thinking of, but I think it'll be a great "city break" (as they call them here). If anyone has any favorite spots, restaurants, can't miss sights, let me know!

7 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

I've never been to Venice, so don't have any suggestions, but I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. My brother-in-law and his wife are headed to Europe this spring and are still debating where to go. (They just have tickets in and out of London so far.) Have a great trip!

Tiffany said...

Looking forward to hearing about Venice! Let me know if we made a good choice! =)
My uncle spends about half his time in London these days - if I talk to/see him soon, I'll mention that you are there!

Kansas Mom said...

Tiffany, are you and Chad heading to Venice on a vacation? That would be so awesome! I can't even imagine going to KC (about three hours away) right now.

Though I do have a business trip in New York next week, so I am still traveling a little.

Matt O'Connell said...

Love you, have fun in Venice

Maurissa said...

Tiffany, I have to say, I totally love Venice. I mean, I can see how in July at the height of tourist season, when it's 90+ degress outside, it could be really unpleasant. But I highly recommend an April-May visit. It's beautiful, just like the movies, I love wandering around the itty bitty side streets and taking vaporettos (water buses) for everything else. Will blog more when I get back!

Tiffany said...

I wish! No, we are definitely not planning a trip to Italy any time soon. =) I was referring to the fact that I backpacked with Maurissa post-graduation and we decided in our planning to leave out Venice. So I can't wait to see pictures and hear about it!

kinkyrhombus said...

ooo venice! i remember eating a lot of their tasty italian sammiches and gelato. and then making the mistake of getting on a train to naples only to have it break down for ten hours.