Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Holidazical

I don't have anything very England-y to write about today.
However, there do seem to be a lot of new holidays I'm learning about this week, so I thought I'd share some of them with you.

Two weeks ago: Australia Day - anyone Australian or friends with Australians gets ripped.

Yesterday: Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day - everyone's supposed to eat pancakes in preparation for Lent. I don't fully understand the connection but it has something to do with getting rid of your eggs. (yesterday was also Mardi Gras/Carnivale, but I'm guessing you knew that)

Today: Waitangi Day, aka New Zealand Day - New Zealanders go out and drink heavily. This is followed up by a Circle Line Pub Crawl to be held this Saturday. I'm going to try to get myself invited along, despite being neither New Zealand-bred nor of a sufficiently high tolerance to hang out with New Zealanders.

Tomorrow: Chinese New Year. Again, not British or exclusively Chinese, but worth a mention. Maybe I'll go to Chinatown for dinner tomorrow night? Hmm, I'm guessing it might be a little busy.

The only other news I have is that I learned how to make a proper gin martini last night, which was pretty cool. I also saw "No Country for Old Men", which was not so cool, but I felt the same way about the book, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good pancakes in London? Everyone knows the best pancakes come from a small place in rural Indiana. There are no pancakes like Hunt Country pancakes.

Maurissa said...

Yes, it's true, Hunt Country pancakes are the best in the world, so I didn't bother having any here in England.

Kristin said...

MD,
My mom hated No Country for Old Men too. She hated it so much that she told Jay the ending in a quick tirade, which was splendid because I got to hear about how she ruined it for him...when we don't really get to go see movies anymore. I know, start the violins...