Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mmmmexican

So, amazingly, I had Mexican food for dinner twice this week in London. I was having pretty brutal cravings for tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, anything more than chips and salsa...and after numerous discussions at work about it, I got invited to TWO different Mexican restaurants.

Both were delicious and way nicer than any Mexican I normally eat in LA. More along the lines of Sonora Cafe than El Compadre's dim lighting and flaming margaritas (which you know I love dearly).

Wednesday night I went to Wahaca - I know, I can't believe that's how they spell it either, but apparently they don't have faith in Londoners being able spell Oaxaca correctly when they google it or something. Anyway, they have regular entrees but then also have classic "market" food. I got the small soft tacos and tostadas that come two or three to an order. Yum! And the margaritas were delicious - and must have been pretty strong, since I was pretty tipsy turvy by the time I got on the tube. My only complaints were that there was no guacamole to order as a starter and the salsa came in these teeeny tiiiiny little bowls that were so shallow you couldn't even get your chip in there. But then we asked for more salsa and they brought us proper big bowls. Oh and they didn't have pitchers of margaritas on the menu - but we didn't ask, so maybe it's a possibility. Next time, I'll find out for sure.

Saturday night, a bunch of us went straight after work to Mexicali, in Notting Hill. This one was even more posh than the first place and LA kids please note, no relation to the one in Studio City. They even had a Wii upstairs in the lounge that you could play...next time. The best news - they had pitchers of all kinds of margaritas and proper messy nachos. However, I was the only girl at the table and had to fight with all the guys to get my share. I almost had to stab their hands with my fork to get some guac-y cheesy deliciousness. I had some tasty chicken enchiladas suizas - which is what I order about 50% of the time back home.

Both meals were pretty expensive, even with all the drinks factored in - each meal was about $50, but it was well worth it for finding yummy Mexican in London and for the delightful company I enjoyed both nights.

Thanks for your patience with the updates. And I'm always leaving straight after work, so I'll try to remember to start bringing my camera with me, so I can actually have some pics to post.

Also, just a little congratulatory shout out to the new parents I know this week. I can't wait to meet darling Maia when I get back to the west coast* and, hopefully if our paths cross again one day, baby Anna (who shares my brother's birthday).


*cue song: Coconut Records "West Coast"

4 comments:

kateyritro said...

Thanks for the shout out, Maurissa! Maia cannot wait to meet you either. Nor can she wait to try nachos... but we told her it will be a while for the latter! The food sounds delish!

Kansas Mom said...

Pregnant women should not read posts about food. I now have a serious craving for Mexican!

Matt O'Connell said...

Your so "proper" now.

Queen Adin said...

If you can believe it...I had to hunt high and low for "proper" mexican food in Spain!

Love your blog now that I've finally come back into blog land.