Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fab Food &...Domino's?



Last night, Helen and I ate the fabulous Boxwood Cafe, one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants. Apparently the wait to get a reservation can be 3 months or something ridiculous, so I was thrilled to be able to go (thanks to a well connected co-worker) and even more thrilled that Helen wanted to go too!

Our table was available right away, which is always nice and the whole evening the service was fantastic. Everything was timely without being intrusive. I could see people checking on us throughout the evening but they never interrupted, just a quick glance and a presence so that if we did need something, they were there. Water & wine glasses always refilled, etc etc. It was lovely and unassuming.

Now what about the eats?



I started with the "Potted salt beef brisket with grain mustard, pickled cucumber and buckwheat flour crackers", which was delicious. You can't see it too well in the goofy picture but I promise it was great.

Helen got the "Fried Irish rock oysters with fennel and lemon" which were served in these two fantastically large shells that looked like the shells mermaids wear in cartoons. A ridiculous reference, I know, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw them.

For my entree, I got the "Risotto of Scottish lobster with roasted artichoke and herbs" - a shocking choice since we all know how I feel about seafood, BUT I figured this was the place to go for it, and that my love for risotto could conquer any lobster fears. I was right on both accounts. Yum!

Helen got the "Pan fried fillet of black bream, crushed potatoes, Cornish crab and basil" which she seemed really pleased with and I just took her word for it, since I'd never even heard of black bream before.

The dessert I really wish I had taken a picture of, but I was getting full and lazy and forgot. We split the "Valrhona hot chocolate fondue, marshmallows, biscotti and bananas" - so perfect for me, right? And so delish!

They had warned us that the next seating for our table was at 9:30 (our reservation was at 7:30), so if we were still finishing after dinner drinks or coffee, we may be moved to the bar. But I glanced at my watch when were chatting over coffee and it was after 10 no one ever mentioned it again. So it was doubly great because we had bee

It was a ridiculously expensive meal (even by London standards) but it was a wonderful dining experience and a needed break from all the pre-made sandwiches, salads and ready-meals that I've been depending on for most of the week. Also, I had great company - I'm sure Helen and I could have been anywhere and had a good time, she's so fun! - but it was nice to have an excuse to turn it into a posh evening with my fave Londoner.

This is us leaving the restaurant, bellies full, wallets somewhat empty, and very happy.



Oh, and no, I didn't see Chef Ramsay (he's the patron chef and has about a dozen other restaurants to run so I doubt he stops by much) and I didn't send anything back just to amuse my "Hell's Kitchen" fandom. =)

Today's lunch was slightly less gourmand but worth a quick aside. So, they were nice enough to order in pizza today while we were working and one of the artists wanted Domino's so that's fine. Two things amused me about Domino's here:

1. We got the largest size possible and I'm pretty they were the size of the smallest ones available in the US. I mean, there was plenty, but it was just interesting how small they seemed compared to the XL portions in the states.

2. One of the pizzas ordered was a veggie. Now what was on the vegetarian delight here in London? The normal things - peppers, mushrooms and onions and then two surprises...pineapple and corn. Corn. The corn was weird. I'll give the pineapple a pass because it's not completely foreign on a pizza (usually Hawaiian style) but I'm pretty sure even in England it's still technically a fruit. So that was interesting.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You crack me up. Corn on a pizza?

Anonymous said...

You and Helen looks AMAZING!!! I miss both your faces so much!

~sigh~

xoxoxo

Melinda