Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Flat

I've gotten a lot of questions about where the hell I'm living (Fulham), what it looks like (small and neutral), does it have a pull out sofabed (yes!), etc.

So post 2 will attempt to answer these questions and provide proof that I actually am in London in a flat and am not just avoiding people and/or living on the streets.

My second day in London, a lovely lady housing agent took me to 9 different flats and cottages in the neighborhoods of Fulham and Putney. These are in the southwest part of London and adjacent to one another but Putney is on the other side of the Thames. It was totally overwhelming to have only been in London one day and then go see 9 places and basically have to pick one on the spot. Luckily there two I really liked and I finally (as in, 20 minutes later) narrowed it down to the one. 13 Rostrevor Road, Fulham, SW6 5AX. If you like, you can just type the postcode into google maps and it'll show you exactly where I live. That's why I like about the postcodes here - very specific. Although probably not good if you have a stalker. But I don't think I have any.

This is a picture of the type of building I live in. These two are across the street from me and I borrowed the picture from a real estate site. (thanks random site!)


Anyway, my flat is on the middle floor of 3 and it's a very small one bedroom. I joke that the kitchen sink is about the size of an airplane sink, but it's very very true. I'll just post all the pictures below and you can see for yourselves. I brought some artwork (Dr. Seuss and Matt O'Connell), bedding and couch pillows from home which - if I do say so myself - was an excellent call. It's really helped make the place feel like (a temporary) home.

Living room:


Kitchen:

If you're wondering where the fridge is, it's on the left in the cabinet next to the combo microwave/convection oven under the counter. If you're wondering about a washing machine, it's straight ahead in the other cabinet under the counter. There are no drawers in the whole kitchen, which is very... interesting.

Bedroom:

(thanks for all the artwork, moconnell!)

And, in case you care, this is the best shot i could get of the bathroom. The most awesome part is the built in heated towel rack. So good.


In the next episode, I'll tell you all about the awesome touristy things I've done so far. And hopefully, by then, I'll actually have a working phone line at the flat...maybe even internet if I'm super lucky. =) Miss you all!

Also, I'll leave it open for comments but keep in mind that family and all kinds of friends will be reading this, so be gentle, dear readers.

5 comments:

kateyritro said...

YAY!! Thanks for the updates on the flat, etc, Maurissa! I'm so excited to see where you've settled in! Looks fantastic so far and can't wait to hear more!!

Unknown said...

it's so absolutely splendidly adorable! just like you!

Unknown said...

(oops, by the way - this is kara)

Matt O'Connell said...

Its good to see Babo is relaxing

Anonymous said...

1. I LOVE that you brought your Care Bears, very comforting.
2. I LOVE that the only food I can spot in the whole place is the glass/bottle of wine. (Found a fav bottle shop yet?)
3. I'm hoping the toilet is not in yet ANOTHER cabinet in the kitchen!
4. Don't burn the house down with the towel warmer, sounds dangerous!
5. All kidding aside - very cute, cute street, very posh! I'll be there to take advantage of your couch as soon as possible!