Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Flat - Bonus Material

So I realized this morning that nowhere in my post did I talk about all the awesome stuff about my flat and why I picked that one.

First - for my parents' sake - it's really safe. It's a small street off of a main street (Fulham Road) my building has a secure front entry door, plus I'm on the first floor and have a couple very sturdy locks on my door.
*Ed. Note: here in England, the first floor is actually one floor off the ground. So it goes ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor*

Also, the stretch of Fulham Road that I'm near, is pretty awesome. It's full of lots of little boutiques, restaurants, salons, and a couple of pubs. For the essentials, there's a Tesco Express - which is like a mini grocery or a super nice 7-11, or for those of you in Silverlake and Echo Park, like a mini Tesco - only two blocks from me and a wine shop actually on my corner.

My favorite stores so far on my street are Cath Kidston and Oliver Bonas, which are both pretty girly. Oliver Bonas also has some clever gifts and home stuff. I dorked out and bought a couple of mugs there: one had the periodic table on it and the other had weights and measurement conversions. (i told you i dorked out). My favorite name of a store is Sweaty Betty. It makes me laugh every time I pass it - they sell workout wear. My favorite restaurant is Sukho Thai - a little expensive, but delicious and I will take all my visitors there for at least one meal.

As far as transportation goes, it's a short walk from my flat to the Parsons Green tube station and about the same distance to the bus stop on Fulham Palace Road. From the bus stop, it's a quick (10-15 min) ride to work. Or I can walk to work in about 35 minutes, which has pretty much been my only source of exercise since I've been here, so I do the walk as often as my shoe choice will allow. I'm also not too far from the Fulham Broadway tube station which has all kinds of goodies, like 2 big groceries, a movie theater, a Barnes & Noble and (gasp!) TGI Fridays.

Lastly, as much as I joke about how small it is and the lack of storage (Ikea fixed that, thank you very much), it's the perfect size for me and my limited time here. And prevents me from shopping too much. Ha!

Tomorrow is a big day - BT is supposed to come finally install a phone line, and I'm renting a TV and DVD player which are getting delivered in the morning. Very exciting stuff. More later....(with pictures, I promise)

1 comment:

kinkyrhombus said...

i hear wagamama is delicious - never got to it each time i visited london. for cheap chinese eats, there's a stand that flanks one of the exits for oxford circus. i think it's the exit for the southeast corner, but its across the street from topman/topshop and catty corner to the h&m.