Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pots of Gü & Fake Royalty

This is the first of many posts to follow which will probably sound like product placement. But I love discovering things that are only available here that I love - whether they're cheesy TV shows or cheesy deliciousness.

...Which reminds me, Wallace and Gromit are right on - England has fantastic cheese and it should be eaten regularly. And none of it is an un-natural uber-processed orange color.

Anyway, so one of my favorite things at my nearby Tesco Express is called . They are little tiny glass dishes of chocolate deliciousness. There are all different flavors. The company also makes a line of goodies called Frü which are fruit-based. But between chocolate and fruit? Gü.

Another of my favorite things is - no, not brown paper packages tied up with string, although those are lovely - Freeview. Freeview is what they call the free TV channels available with your aerial receiver. There are so many channels! Now reception can be a little dodgy (my new favorite word) but when it's good, it's the clearest picture I've ever had next to HD. So far this week on Freeview, I've watched "Project Catwalk" - the British, Kelly Osbourne-hosted version of "Project Runway" - "Weeds", a ton of "CSI", 2 different Jamie Oliver health/cooking shows, "Little Britain", "East Enders", and "Bring It On" (yes, the Dunst one). No cable bill, no satellite bill, it's pretty great.

My top new TV show, though, is "The Palace".

It's basically "The OC" but about a fictional British royal family. There's only been one episode so far (the king dies and his party-hardy son is suddenly king) but I'm already hooked. The wikipedia page bills it as a West Wing for England's royal family but...um, well, no. It's way too soapy to be compared to anything Sorkin. Soapy and super!

Next Friday I scored a reservation to Boxwood - one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants - I can't wait. And by "scored", I mean received through the generous goodwill of one of my co-workers.

(*the pics today were all borrowed from other sites)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Mo,
This is awesome reading! Keep up the posts. I love hearing about Freeview and Gu and cheese. I enjoy checking in on you daily (even if you don't post that often) wondering what new cool thing you've experienced. Miss you, though! (although, I think that you are actually closer to me in London)