Sunday, January 27, 2008

Top of the Shops?


I can already tell I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with Topshop.

On Helen's recommendation (and because I was coveting her purse at dinner the other night) I went to the Oxford Circus Topshop today. She said it was the only one worth going to becuase it's the flagship store. It's immense. Huge. Ridiculous. It has wondeful things but I got there and was instantly overwhelmed. It kind of feels like Urban Outfitters as a department store. So a little messy, very eclectic (in a great way!) and pretty chaotic. In addition to all your regular departments there was a sweet shop, a mini nail salon, an itsy hair salon, it connects into Miss Selfridge's (which I still haven't figured out), there's Top Man, Topshop Boutique, and at least 2 different shoe dpeartments.

I think I need to just take it half a floor at a time. Because the idea of trying to conquer even a whole floor at once is too much. There's just so much to look at!

What will keep me going back though, is that they have tons of different styles, price levels, colors...it really is an amazingly hip store with stuff for 10-60 year olds.

The problem is that it requires a time commitment I wasn't quite prepared for. To sort through all the different styles and merch...and deal with some of the more competitive shoppers....well, today wasn't the day for me to handle that. I just had no idea what I was in for. But I did accomplish one task - apologies to Helen, I totally bought her same purse but with a scarf of a different color. She has great taste, what can I say?

As requested by Miss Kate, here is the bag. Helen, please don't hate me. I promise not to carry it whenever we go out together. Also it's way cuter in person than in this pic.

6 comments:

kinkyrhombus said...

TOPSHOP! I had several decent quality tshirts and jeans from that joint, nice and cheap like H&M.

My fav dept store is Selfridges, despite how chaotic it is.

Kristin said...

It sounds like a much more awesome (as in way better stuff) Ikea. Just based on your description of its overwhelming nature.

Maurissa said...

Ikea at least has nice comfortable displays. Topshop doesn't bother with such things - you want a handbag, you better grab it, and don't expect to see it modeled with an outfit. Also, at Ikea, I haven't gotten a lot of girls throwing elbows to get me out of their way. But definitely in size and breadth of merchandise, they are very similar. =)

Kristin said...

Ah ha! Filene's basement in Boston, then...perhaps during the running of the brides?

Anonymous said...

Can we see the bag?! :)

Maurissa said...

i'll try to remember to take a pic tonight and post it for you, kate. =)